How to Get a Dentist’s License in Sweden [A Guide]

17. June 2024.

As we already wrote in our previous posts (obtaining a license for radiology engineers, medical laboratory technicians, and medical nurses and technicians) it’s never been easier to get a license for healthcare workers in Sweden, especially if you’re from another EU member state. 

The same applies to getting a dentist’s license in Sweden. The only condition for dentists from the EU is knowing Swedish or related languages at a C1 level, which we’ll discuss more below.

We’ll also briefly discuss the additional requirements you need to meet if you’re a dentist from outside the EU.

Let’s get to the concrete steps you need to take to get a dentist’s license.

💡 Below, we’ll mainly talk about how you can get a dentist’s license in Sweden, but many of the requirements also apply to Denmark and Norway.

Photo by Arisa Chattasa on Unsplash

Dentists in Sweden – 3 Fun Facts

  • In Swedish, dentists are called tandläkare (read: tand-lekare).
  • After you submit all necessary documents, you’ll wait 2-4 weeks on average for your license to be approved.
  • The base salary for dentists in Sweden is between 34,000 and 37,000 SEK a month, which is equivalent to ~3020€ and 3286€.

Get a Dentist’s License in Sweden – The Prerequisites

There are 3 main prerequisites you need to meet if you want to get a dentist’s license in Sweden. Firstly, you must have adequate education. Secondly, you’ll need to know Swedish or a related language at a C1 level. And, thirdly, you’ll also need some previous, relevant work experience in some cases.

1. The Necessary Education

First and foremost, you’ll need adequate education to get a dentist’s license in Sweden.

More precisely, you’ll need to have completed a faculty of dental medicine. As evidence of this, you’ll need to submit a copy of your diploma translated into Swedish or English by a court interpreter. We’ll talk more about the necessary documents below.

If you got the majority of your education outside of the EU, a competent authority may need to do some additional assessments and verifications.

2. C1 Level of Swedish or a Related Language

The second prerequisite for getting a dentist’s license is having a C1 language certificate or a diploma. Three options are acceptable: a C1 level of Swedish, Norwegian, or Danish. These languages can be compared to Croatian, Bosnian, and Serbian, which is why they can be used interchangeably.

💡 You can use a C1 level of Swedish as an adequate replacement for a C1 level of Norwegian or Danish. The opposite is true as well; a C1 level of Norwegian or Danish can replace a C1 level of Swedish.

3. Work Experience (In Some Cases)

As we’ve already mentioned, dentists who got their education outside the EU (for example, in Turkey or Serbia) have to fulfill an additional criterion alongside the ones we’ve already listed—more specifically, they’ll need to have relevant work experience in some of the member states.

The minimum requirement is 3 years of previous work experience in the EU.

You don’t have to meet this requirement if you’re from the EU, i.e., if you got your education in a member state.

How to Get a Dentist’s License – The Necessary Documents

Hrpa papira na stolu
Photo by Alexander Grey on Unsplash

To get a dentist’s license in Sweden, you will need to submit the following:

1. A filled-out application form available on the website of the Swedish Medical Chamber

2. A copy of a valid identity card or passport

3. Excerpt from the register of marriages translated into English or Swedish by a court interpreter (only if your last name is different compared to the one on your documents, e.g., your diploma)

4. A copy of a certificate or a diploma of the C1 level of the Swedish language

5. A copy of your diploma from a faculty of dental medicine translated into Swedish or English by a court interpreter

6. A certificate from your country’s Chamber of Dentists (Certificate of Good Standing), which states that you have not committed professional mistakes and that you are allowed to practice in your home country

• A translation into Swedish or English by a court interpreter is also required.
• The certificate is only valid for 3 months. If you haven’t submitted all the papers to the Swedish Chamber in that period, you will need to re-obtain this certificate.

7. A certificate from the Chamber of Dental Medicine (so-called EU certificate) stating that your education was obtained in accordance with the EU Directive 2005/36/EG or, more precisely, articles 37, 34, and 23.

8. A confirmation from your faculty about the courses you took during your education there (diploma supplement) – also needs to be translated into Swedish or English by a court interpreter

9. A confirmation that you’ve paid the fee for document processing, in the amount of SEK 870.00 (amount valid on May 27, 2024)

Complete Your C1 Level in Zrinka’s Swedish School

Our consultant for HR in healthcare, Zrinka Stanić, has 13+ years of experience in teaching Swedish. In her Swedish school, you can pass all levels of this language, one course at a time.

Zrinka Stanic
Apart from currently working as an HR consultant for healthcare and a Swedish language teacher, dr. sc. Zrinka Stanić is also a permanent court interpreter for the Swedish language and a Master of Law.

As part of every course, you also get:

  • additional materials,
  • assignments,
  • free consulting on getting hired and moving to Sweden.

Here’s what students say about Zrinka’s Swedish school:

“Since I wanted to work in Sweden, I started my Swedish course which went really smoothly. I didn’t find learning a new language difficult at all because it’s so easy to arrange everything with Zrinka. I’ve managed to learn and complete my C1 level of Swedish (…) within a year and 3 months. I have to admit that Zrinka prepared me well. The thing I liked the most was how the course was held since it allowed me to work and learn at the same time. I’m now happy employed in Sweden.”— Lucia Španjol Pandelo, doctor of medicine

“My goal was to work outside Croatia together with my family. I heard about Zrinka by asking around. I took the course in 2018. via Skype together with 2-3 more people who had the same goal as me, so I also got to know new people. What I liked the most was Zrinka’s approach and her openness. I successfully completed the B1 level.Patricia Balić, medical laboratory technician

A1-B2 level courses are held both in real time via Skype or Zoom as well as via pre-recorded videos you can watch in your free time. C1-C2 courses are held exclusively in real time. Once you finish your course, you get a certificate. ✅

Check out the available courses.

Living and Working in Sweden

To help you get a taste of what it’s like to live and work in Sweden, we’ve extracted what some of our candidates had to say:

🧑‍🤝‍🧑 Good interpersonal relationships: “It’s not like you won’t have any problems with colleagues or something else, but these problems will be solved in a way that satisfies you, at least partially.” – Spomenko Lončar, a radiology engineer

🧔 A people-first approach: “[Sweden] cares about the people who live and work here, appreciates them, and invests in them.” – Spomenko Lončar, a radiology engineer

🗄️ Good work conditions and organization: “Although I just moved to Sweden, I can notice how the Swedes have everything organized. That suits me. Even though I’m a foreigner, I don’t feel that way. The working conditions are excellent.” – Antonela Slišković, medical laboratory diagnostics engineer

✊ Workers’ rights: “The rights of workers are respected, and all questions regarding changes related to working hours, wages or difficulties at work are consulted with HR (Human Resources) in order to protect the employee.” – Sonja Škrinjarić, nurse

Apply for Zrinka’s Swedish School!

Did you know that you can learn Swedish for free with Zrinka? In that case, you will already need to have an arranged job with your chosen hospital, and the hospital will pay for your course instead of you. We’ll gladly give you more information about this option and help you get a job. Contact us. 

The other option is to start with Zrinka’s Swedish school before you find a job, which will help increase your chances of getting the position and work conditions you want. Also, if you complete all the levels up to C1, you will also satisfy one of the main requirements needed to work not only in Sweden but also in Denmark and Norway.

Open up a whole new specter of opportunities for yourself. Learn more about Zrinka’s Swedish school today. 

Next articles